Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Valley - San Francisco - Viva Las Vegas!

 
My 'road trip' is officially under way!  I can't decide if time seems to be slipping by too quickly, or if it feels to have slowed down...
 
My employment with Polar Electro ended on November 30th.  I climbed and visited The Valley as much as I possibly could while I waited patiently but excitedly for my big 'last day' on the job.  I knew I would be leaving California immediately after I handed over the keys to the company car and the sponsorship gas card to Shell that accompanied the job. 
    
 
Cosmic Debris...is hard

 
Yosemite Falls from the Cosmic belay
 
 
Fritz, wondering if taco bell could be part of our rest day
 
 
Kona warming up with me at Camp 4
 
 
Alex and Thirza in the meadow
 
 
Wick prepping for some Diesel Power
 
 
James adjusting his 8a.nu scorecard at C4...apparently he's kind of a big deal
 
 
Thirza and Alex demonstrating the beta on the 'El Cap Lie-back'
 
My final climbing days in Yosemite this year were amazing...one could even categorize them as perfect!  Temperatures finally cooled and it dried out enough for us to experience a couple of those special Valley days with pretty dreamy conditions.  It was the best way imaginable to end my time in CA and amazing to have been able to climb with such great people in such a majestic place. I can't wait to return next year. 
 
As November 30th came and went, I followed the lonely straight road to Las Vegas in search of good weather, countless new routes, desert limestone, and some notable little rocks to try and summit as well. Upon my arrival, I met up with my friend Jenny from Leavenworth and we spent the first six days of my Vegas experience exploring the endless walls that weave throughout the Red Rocks. We fitness-ed through five amazing days in the warm (sometimes hot) sun where we climbed as many routes as we possibly could.  I can't thank Jenny enough for being willing to follow me around to all the short, steep, thuggish routes I wanted to try even though she was more called to the long routes!
 
 
The lonely straight road to Vegas
 
 
Jenny tying in to the sharp end at The Gallery
 
 
Hiking in to Juniper Canyon
 
 
Nightlife near the 'Strip'
 
 
Stand and Deliver - a perfect problem in every aspect
 
 
Could not have sent without sharing body heat between attempts
 
 
Clouds over the desert
 
 
Big tree way up in Juniper Canyon
 
 
Fun and pretty problem called 'Abstraction' in Gateway Canyon
 
 
Desert Sunrise
 
 
Desert Sunset
 
The coming weeks here in the desert are going to be a blast!  I'm finally warming up a little bit to climbing on sandstone (and in need of rest) and I'm looking forward to having a go on all of the beautiful climbs around here that I have yet to try!!

No comments:

Post a Comment