Monday, January 14, 2013

Friends and Fun Times


Early Mornings


Morning coffee in the desert...Mmmm

I was introduced to rock climbing just over ten years ago. I was captivated before I even knew what I was doing, or what it was that made it so appealing to me. A chance to work through and solve a problem that simultaneously tested my mind and physical strength in the comforts of nature left me searching for and wanting more. As silly as it seems, I have always been drawn to how beautiful a rock could look to me. The shape or the feel of even one hold on a problem, or a seemingly improbable movement was enough to set my psyche soaring.

 
Click the link to see an iPhone productions clip of a beautiful problem with unique holds and great movement called 'The Book of Nightmares' (for quality footage of this problem, buy Western Gold!)

Ten years later, I've logged countless hours in pursuit of the next great climbing experience. It's taken me places I never would have otherwise visited, taught me what I actually need and value in life, and has introduced me to some fabulous friends along the way. Anyone who has been a climber for any amount of time knows that the friendships you grow through climbing can be, and often become priceless.


Asher, Flannery and Shannon conjuring up a breakfast concoction


Flan and Shannon at Yardhouse

Lisa Chulich crushing 'Bitch Slap 5'


Shannon, not even a little bit scared, on 'Fear of the Black Hat'

Fun crew in Gateway Canyon

 
Best group of gals to climb with...especially the little black one


...Only in Las Vegas would someone steel the phone from the booth


Flannery close to victory on 'Hungry, Hungry Hippos'


The scene outside the Black Velvet Canyon


Dave Graham getting REAL psyched on a possible (?) new project


The comforts of home


Portable Buddy heater helps you send...


Brief snow storm in Calico Basin at Red Rocks

Mike Kerzhner paid a visit to Vegas to give me a few free lessons on how to send 


Misty Murphy climbing at 'Hillbilly Heaven' outside Mesquite, NV

I've been lucky enough to enjoy the company of some fabulous friends since I've been here, deep in #desertlife. Good friends, great times, sweet adventuring, shared motivation, beautiful weather...nothing else could make this experience more enjoyable!
I'm SUPER thankful for each and every one of my friends! Cheers to all of the times and memories we've shared through the game of life. It's comforting to be part of such a positive community (for the most part) full of such big hearts and varied personalities...


Looking down on a beautiful route I just bolted called 'Designer Dog'


Sunset hiking out from the crag

1 comment:

  1. Brother! Miss you but so glad you're having fun :) Love the scenery, thanks for sharing part of your world cuz it helps me be able to picture you living the climbing life. To that end- more pictures/vid of you please! I know that's a tall order- putting attention on yourself... Love you, talk soon.
    <3,
    your sis

    ReplyDelete