Monday, January 21, 2013

Success?

 
Doin' work at Sun City AKA 'Hillbilly Heaven' in Mesquite
 
For the past 18 months, my energy and attention have been spread pretty thin over a whole lot of ground.  The pursuit of 'success' seems to take center stage when it comes to both my work and my play.  Lately, for no real reason aside from boredom, I've been attempting to box up exactly what that word looks like to me...
 
Is it simply defined by the hard facts?  Send vs. no send?  Did I discover the next classic?  Am I as highly motivated as I 'should' be?  Am I pushing my personal limits?  Am I at least having fun?  Did I give it my all?  Or is success constructed from feelings and results bigger than the facts?  The questions can go on and on but in the end, the best part is more about embracing the journey than reaching the destination.
 
In 2011 I kept a log of every day that I climbed outdoors and in what location(s).  When the calendar flipped to 2012, I stopped that log, and instead began keeping track of every new (to me) climb I sent regardless of the grade.  It was fun to look back at the data I gathered at the end of the year to see where I went and mentally sort through some of the memories that piled up throughout the days I spent out there.  Here's some stats from my 2012 climbing year:
  • I sent 419 new (to me) boulder problems
  • 45 of those are considered to have a 'double digit' grade (results based on a personal opinion and still very subjective)
  • 48 of those were First Ascents
 
  • I also climbed 71 new routes (both trad and sport)
  • Two of them are considered to be graded 5.14
  • Four of them were First Ascents (3 of which I personally bolted)
 
There's my stat and grade rant for the year (some of you can and will appreciate that, Hahaha)... Looking at my results from a whole years worth of adventuring got me thinking, "Does this info prove that I am a successful climber?"  After some reflection I think I've decided that no matter how often I send, or how impressive my tick-list appears, or how hard I fail, I have WAY too much fun living it. As long as that remains the case, and I am able to continue refining 'myself' through my selfish activity, then success is inevitable.
 
 
Flannery Shay-Nemirow showing off the face of success!
 
 
Tufas at the 'Spanish Isles'
 
 
Sending my new route 'Designer Dog' - 5.13a-ish...first one I bolted in 2013!
 
 
Air lift rescue from the Kraft Boulders
 
 
Special thanks to Asana Climbing for making amazing products and putting them into my hands to use...the right gear undoubtedly helps produce more success! Check out their brand new website here: http://www.asanaclimbing.com/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment