Monday, February 10, 2014

Team Flash

 
Trust-fall with Team Flash in Bishop

There's something about staring out the window at the falling rain/snow that brings all the dormant thoughts inside my head to light. Maybe it's because I'm being forced to stay indoors? Perhaps it's the turning of another chapter in my life? I've been here before, staring at a blank page that will soon become the direction of my life. A blank page that I have to somehow fill with my next steps...it's a liberating, comfortable, wonderful, yet stressful feeling!


A stormy hike on the East Shore

In October, I started working on a new project. This one was different than the typical, tall, beautiful, pure, boulder problem I often fall in love with...this project involved a job, and a goal with an end result that would hopefully (fingers crossed) resemble the image of a competitive youth climbing team. I was immediately captivated! My heart and my soul plunged head first into the project...it was all I could think about, all I spent my time and energy on, my own climbing pursuits nestled into the back seat without even resisting. Coaching Team Flash was the most enjoyable 'work' I had ever done. Had I found my true calling in life? Was this my dream job? The program quickly expanded as those of us working on 'the proj' scrambled to keep up and learn how to 'coach' a team of blossoming individuals along the way. After four short months as their coach, my life was changed forever. You truly can learn A LOT from the younger generation(s) if you take the time to pay attention. The way they deal with life, solve problems, interact with one another, try hard, view their own progression, handle competition, deal with success, face failure, etc. is usually different than us 'adults' might work through the same issues...it's a spectacular thing to be a part of! I was hooked... 

 
Stefan topping out The Bowling Pin (v6)
 
 
A fun, fall day at Soda Springs
 
 
'Spicy' Dees keeping it together on her first highball
 
 
Brennan sussing the maneuvers on The Solarium (hardest v4 in the Happies?)
 
 
Shylee and Molly staying psyched in the Tablelands
 
 
Marina on problem #4 at the Divisional Comp in Seattle
 
 
'Big B' grappling with some Monzonite in the Buttermilks
 
 
Sam jumping toward the summit on The Whale Tail (v9)
 
 
Symone giving a free lesson on how to back flag on Fly Boy Left (v5)
 
Unfortunately, my time with High Altitude Fitness, and therefore Team Flash recently came to a close. It's crazy when something that means so much to you is taken away...I told all my kids on the team that sometimes life throws you unexpected curve balls. How we as individuals deal with and handle the hand that we're dealt is more important than what the pitch itself looks like...

 
Bishop trip group shot...that was an AMAZING WEEKEND!
 

 
Touching words from a couple of great friends...
 
My memory bank is overflowing with amazing moments I've shared with my team! I'm thankful to have had the chance to work with and get to know each and every one of them and I'm already looking forward to the future adventures we will get to experience together outside the walls of High Altitude! If you're reading this Team Flash, I'm extremely proud of you...and I'm honored to be able to call myself your teacher! Keep charging life, working hard, enjoying the moment (even when the moment is rough), and 'sending the proj'!! #beallyoucanbe #tryhard #yolo #teamflashlives
 
This emotional transition is a big piece of why I'm standing at a fork in the road, again...weighing options, dreaming big, and contemplating the physics behind what goes into the motion of the elusive 'next step'. I depart for France tomorrow! Fontainebleau is a place I've ALWAYS wanted to visit and I can't believe it's actually happening! I seem to be departing at a great time in my life and it will certainly be a magnificent stage to sit on while I contemplate what exactly I'm doing here on this earth. I'm always excited about the opportunities that can be found underneath an uncertain future...this time I feel extra excited for some reason... 

No comments:

Post a Comment